Where to buy Traci Robison's books

Buy The Taking at:

Buy Tangled at:

Buy Gates the Hours Keep at:




March 22, 2010

Around the Block

I've had days where I've struggled, but until Friday I honestly hadn't faced a day where I felt so completely blank.  It scared me.  I had visions of never writing another meaningful word.

I grabbed my copy of Bonnie Goldberg's Room to Write  and deserted my laptop for the comfort of the couch.  Unable to settle on a writing exercise, I opened my notebook and just started writing.  Appropriately enough, I ended up writing a scene where my main character wandered, lost, through a city's streets and wound up at an unexpected destination.

Will I ultimately use much of that work?  Probably not.  But pushing forward kept me from a sense of failure and even gave me a few ideas for moving on.  Saturday's work went well, and today I wrote twice as much as usual in half the time. 

I'm not one to quote the Bible, but I've had a handwritten notecard of Proverbs 14:23 tacked to my bulletin board since I was a college student:  "All hard work brings a profit, but mere talk leads only to poverty."  I truly believe the work of writing in itself is a reward.  Even on difficult days, I love what I'm doing, and without that work, I would feel impoverished.

No comments: